Friday, September 26, 2008

Simply Struggling

Over the course of the last couple months, I have taken on new challenges and hence have had many revelations. I have also discovered that what really means the most in life are the simple things. I know this sounds silly and obvious, but as we all say it and hear it, I don't for a moment think very many of us actually LIVE it. So, here is my challenge to you: live simply. My hope is that by noticing the simple things in life, you'll be amazed at how your outlook on the things you used to think were big suddenly changes and you realize that they really aren't; that what matters most are the little things most people would deem as insignificant.

I have come to the realization recently that in order for me to notice the little things I have to overcome one of my biggest struggles: letting go. For me, this comes in the form of letting go of the things I have no control over. Watching the people in my life make their own choices and feeling that instead of just observing these choices, I could really be helping in some way is something I have to let go of. I have always been the 'helper'. Sometimes that 'help' isn't wanted or necessary. I am noticing that by realizing this and letting it go, an enormous weight I put on myself is lifted off my sagging shoulders replaced with moments of uncertainty and helplessness--and surprise. Surprisingly, in those moments, I am free. I am free to simply live. I am free to worry less and watch my kids grow, to see in them the future that is wide open in front of them and that I am the one guiding them on that path, to not worry that I'm not doing everything right at every moment.

And that, I imagine, will be my next struggle to deal with...coming to the realization, and accepting the fact that I don't have to be perfect all the time. That I am the one who gets to define the 'right' way of doing most things.

I am curious about your struggles and how letting them go has helped you to simply live...or live simply. I hope you'll share-until then...

No comments: