Monday, November 24, 2008

Sleep is Overrated

I suppose it happens to all of us at some point.

That day where you realize you've stopped getting even 4 hours of consecutive, peaceful sleep and you feel lucky if you don't lay there for 45 minutes trying to fall asleep in the first place.

For many of us it can be attributed to something tangible: a new baby, pregnancy, a noisy neighbor, you get the idea. Then there are those of us that have this problem for a different reason.

And it seems I am not alone. I was chatting with a close friend today, let's call her CD, about this very issue. She can't sleep either. It's not just getting to sleep that is the problem, but staying asleep as well. Her girl, like The Boy, doesn't like to sleep at night. She really misses the 12 hours of sleep she used to get. After CD lays awake for hours in her own bed, then finally falls asleep, her Girl wakes up several times throughout the night. In addition to that, she is a little over halfway through her second pregnancy and is very uncomfortable to begin with.

In my case, it's The Boy. He goes down okay now, after a rough time getting him convinced...it was touch and go there for a bit, but wakes up in the middle of the night too. In addition to that, I can't fall asleep to save my life. I used to be the girl that as soon as her head hit the pillow, I was OUT. It drove the Beast crazy with jealousy. Now, forget it. I have to veg in front of the tv until I wake up slouched over on the couch in the wee hours of the morning, then carry myself to bed, only to lay there listening to the bumps in the night for a good half hour before finally waking up to the Boy deciding he isn't tired any longer.

Here's the big question. Why is it that as soon as we get in a good routine and rhythm we can all handle, the toddlers go and change it up on us? Do they conspire against us at play dates? I can see it now, them in the corner munching on cheerios talking amongst themselves in that babble we like to refer to as "not English", all the while, plotting against us with a we'll show them attitude. Hmmm.

I would love to read your answer to that question, because at this point, I got nothin'!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So the "Creeper" has struck again...and again. Huh?