Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Lesson in Opposites

The Boy's daycare is heavy on the curriculum, hence the decision to send him there in the first place. This month one of the lessons has been opposites. The Boy has not taken this lesson lightly, in fact every toy in the house goes "up, down, up, down". Balls get stuck in places when they go "in, out, in, out" but the "out" part hasn't been mastered or the toy just wasn't created for that kind of nonsense, which can be VERY frustrating for a boy of two and a half.

With all of this in mind, it shouldn't have come to my surprise that the Beast and the Boy (and then me) had an opposites conversation with a life lesson attached.

The Beast came barrelling out of the bathroom wheezing with barely controlled laughter, the Boy hot on his heels. He proceeded to gaspingly explain to me that the Boy came into the bathroom and upon seeing daddy standing in the "ready" position over the toilet said, "Daddy pee-pee? Boy pee-pee too", then stood directly behind him to do his business in the training toilet. He came around to check daddy's stance, looked up at the Beast and said, "Daddy pee-pee too? Boy little pee-pee, daddy big pee-pee."

The Beast, try as he might, could not get the Boy to repeat this grand discovery. I have a hunch that he was too excited about the boy's revelation and the coming day he can have the "someday, son this will all be yours" conversation.

So, because something is wrong with me, I decided I'd give it a whirl. I asked the Boy if he had a pee-pee. He responded that he "already did". Um...yeah, I totally meant that as a noun kid, not a verb. Apparently grammar hadn't been taught yet at the daycare or by his parents. But, since I rarely give up, I tried a different tack...and asked him "Is Boy's pee-pee little?" To which I got an annoyed I-can't-believe-you-would-even-consider-it response of "NOOOO, Boy pee-pee big. Daddy's big too. Boy little, daddy big."

Clearly, he is confused by all the pee-pee questions. And the thought that someday that could all be his.

And I am left to never wonder again why we have yet to receive a "Best Parenting" Award...

3 comments:

"Seattle" Heather said...

OMG I'm laughing so hard right now. I know Beast has been "waiting" for this moment! LOL

Anonymous said...

It was one of my proudest moments as a dad..I almost fell over laughing so hard cause it was just so innocent.

Heidi said...

Thanks for the note about PRH. Bummer, huh?! My email is: heidilublin@hotmail.com What's funny is that I told Kyle he should tell you, but we didn't know how to get a hold of you either. :)